Date: 3/9/17 12:13 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Cook Co.-Gillson Park Lake Watch #3, Techny North, Air Station Prairie & Lake Glenview Thur 3-9-17
Hello Bird People,

Started another Lake Watch at Gillson Park's beach house at 7:30 &
later I was joined by Jeff Sanders. We left at 10 a.m. Except for 1
ten min period before Jeff arrived the ducks went by in small numbers
but during that 10 min period I saw about 300 Greater Scaup with a few
Redheads, about 3 W.W. Scoters & 50 Red Breasted Mergansers. Here's
the full list:

Gillson Park Lake Watch #3 (7:30-10 a.m.)

Canada Goose (10 flying north)
Mallard (14 flying north)
Redhead (8-10 flying north with Scaup)
Greater Scaup (312 with most flying north)
WHITE WINGED SCOTER (groups of 1, 2, 3, 7 & 1 for a total of 14 flying
both north & south)
Common Goldeneye (1-M heading north)
Red Breasted Merganser (~75-80 flying north & south & on the lake)
Land birds included Mourning Doves (3), Crows (17), Robins (6),
Starling (2), Red Wings (2),
Grackle (1), House Finch (1-PR) & house Sparrow (6)

Techny North (10:55-11:25 a.m.)

P.B. Grebe (1)
Canada Goose (2 in water & 6 flying north)
Mallard (46)
Shoveler (11-M & 1-F)
Green Winged Teal (32)
Red Tailed Hawk (1-AD flying)
Kestrel (1-M, Jeff also saw the female)
SANDHILL CRANE (9 flying by)
Killdeer (2)
Ring Billed & Herring Gull (1 each)
The only land birds were 2 Red Winged Blackbirds

Air Station Prairie (11:35 a.m.-12:05 p.m.)

Mallard (4)
Red Tailed Hawk (1 fly-by)
Killdeer (2)
WILSON'S SNIPE (groups of 2, 3 & 1 for a total of 6)
Land birds were Song Sparrow (1 singing), Cardinal (1 singing) & Red Wings (4)

Lake Glenview (12:10-12:30 p.m.)

Canada Goose (46)
Mallard (6)
Red Breasted Merganser (27)
Coots (3)
Kestrel (1-M)
Herring Gull (2-AD)
Land birds were Song Sparrow (H-1), Junco (2) & House Finch (heard 1 singing)

Including roadside Pigeons I had 30 species for the day.
Bird-Of-The-Day for both Jeff & I goes to the White Winged Scoters
some of which were in nice & close. Runners-Up to the Snipe, the large
group of Teal & the Cranes

Al Stokie
In Cook County enjoying the lighter winds!

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: