Date: 3/9/17 11:07 am
From: JimC <jimcancil...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Interesting Bald Eagle maneuver..
Sure wish I had a camera last Tuesday. My 12mi drive to work due West of Salisbury has about 6mi of lightly traveled, 2-lane. It is not at all uncommon to see Bald Eagles in pastures foraging on carrion. This morning (about 7am) however, I sat in the right lane about 30' from an adult BE who was trying to figure how to handle a possum that had been hit during the night. The possum was medium sized but the BE seemingly could not lift it in its beak and walk to the shoulder.. between looking at me (luckily there was no other traffic for a few minutes) and tugging the possum it seemingly got flustered.

Its next, and successful, move was to stand on the possum and flap its wings and bump-hop the carcass over to the shoulder. As soon as it was off the road I drove off.

As an aside: Virtually 'every morning' there are parade of Crows, Vultures that are like ladies in Moscownwith brooms; they come out just after first light to clean the roads of frogs, bugs and other assorted victims of collisions with cars.

Cheers. Jim/Salisbury