Date: 3/9/17 8:28 am
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] The Coop/dove complex
Time spent with Corvallis native son Rich Hoyer is always highly productive and totally memorable. Rich pays rent in Tuscon, where he rarely resides. He once told me there are seven species of pigeon/doves nesting in that town, which supports 700 Cooper's Hawks. In addition to distant exotics, introduced from the Palearctic, there are doves such as the Inca, from the near abroad. Human activity has made it possible for them to expand their range. All these Columbids are carrying the avian equivalent of Trichinosis, with the result that many Cooper's Hawks die quite young. But a significant portion are resisitant and survive to fill the next generation. I suspect no Cooper's Hawks were nesting in the area in 1900. This resistant population, getting stronger by the year perhaps, may spread to other urban areas in the southern tier.
LarsPOST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!