Date: 3/9/17 7:24 am
From: Jim Green <jkgbirdman53...>
Subject: [MDBirding] MOS-ANS Evening bird walks (Montgomery County)

Last evening I led the first of three joint Md Ornithological/Audubon Naturalist Society evening bird walks. We (14 people total) met at 4 pm at Riley's Lock on the bridge. As expected waterfowl sightings were far and few. We saw Bufflehead, Pied-billed Grebes (5), 6 flyby Common Mergansers, lots of Double-crested Cormorants and Ring-billed Gulls. Our best bird here was a low flying Merlin that went north by the bridge right over the water.

We then went to Hughes Hollow where there were lots of singing Red-winged blackbirds, 19 Ring-necked Ducks and a pair of Hooded Mergansers. We also had numerous Wood Ducks, 4 Green-winged Teal and more Hooded Mergs flying into roost in the wetland.

We then headed to Sycamore Landing Road. Towards the end of the road we heard a distant Red-headed Woodpecker before heading back to the fields. The gusty winds of several hours ago had passed and our warm evening was ideal for our finish.

The American Woodcock display more than made up for our earlier lack of waterfowl. I estimated at least 4 different birds all making multiple displays with the first PEENT heard at 6:40 and the last at 7:05 pm. The woodcock were very cooperative and I believe everybody in the group was able to see one either on the ground or in the air slightly after takeoff. We also heard 3 Barred and 1 Great-horned Owls, flyby American Wigeon and Wood Ducks. We had two Wilson's Snipe fly out of the field we were standing in IDed by their raspy flight call and erratic flight.

There are two more trips next week (March 14 & 16) both of which start at 4 pm on the bridge at Riley's Lock. No reservations and all are welcome!

Earlier in the day I saw 3 Horned Larks and 13 American Pipits on the Hughes Rd polo fields, both of which were previously reported by Linda Friedland.

Jim Green
Gaithersburg MD
Sent from my iPhone