Date: 3/9/17 6:31 am
From: Bill Volkert <billvolkert11...>
Subject: [wisb] Fwd: Re: Peru bird guide?
Whenever I am planning my birding trips I go to Buteo Books - the bookstore
for the American Birding Association. They have a very large collection.
I also check out Natural History Bookstore, which is in England. They
carry some of the same books, but also have the Collins and Helms field
guide series among others. Foreign shipping costs more but some of these
books may not be available here. I often will purchase more than one field
guide for a country and then compare them and take the best one or two with
my on my trips. I know this results in an extra expense, but I figure if I
am going to spend several thousand on my birding trips, then $100 for field
guides isn't that much to be sure that I have the best books with me to
help my identify the birds I see.
Speaking of bird books, I received my copy of The Illustrated Checklist of
the Birds of the World while we were traveling in Nicaragua. I just
finished paging through this and am very impressed. Volume II - the
passerines is an effort to illustrate every songbird in the world and
includes range maps. Very impressive effort. While there will always be
some reclassification of birds, they have attempted to illustrate a number
of the subspecies, so if there are future splits among these they are
already in the book. The book is pricey, but then it is a massive volume
with more than 6,000 illustrations. After going through this I now have
even more places I want to visit. I just need someone to help pay for my
birding trips. Please send donations to the Bill Vollkert Travel Fund. My
motto is..."With my ideas and your money, I can go places".

Bill
FdL Co.

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 7:56 AM, beau schaefer <dmarc-noreply...>
wrote:

> I haven't yet birded outside the country but I collect field guides for
> other countries. The Princeton Guide to the Birds of Peru by our very own
> Doug Stotz and others is exceptional in my opinion. Definitely check it out.
>
> Beau Schaefer
> Lake County
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Mar 9, 2017, at 7:35 AM, Andria Blattner <ablattner22...>
> wrote:
> >
> > I'm going to Peru in April and would appreciate the same info.
> > Andria Blattner
> > Dane County

Bill Volkert
Naturalist