Date: 3/9/17 5:56 am
From: Joseph Bourget <joseph.bourget...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Great Gray Owls
To be fair, I didn't post the sighing to the Mass Rare Bird Alert Facebook
page until this morning due to it being a rare owl/sensitive species. It's
a personal rule of mine that I don't post (whether it is on Facebook, here,
or eBird) until word is out. And then I'll wait a few days after it hasn't
been seen to do so, with the exception that many people have already seen
the bird, so discretion isn't necessary.

My reasoning stems from the Short-eared Owl roost issues near the
Cumberland fields where people found the roost, harassed them, and they
didn't return for a few years. Or any of the Snowy Owl sightings where
people would flush the bird.

Now, I know that MOST people won't do this and will respect the bird, but I
still have to take precautions. I hope everyone understands.

Respectfully,

Joseph Bourget
Brimfield, MA

On Mar 9, 2017 12:08 AM, "Joshua Rose" <opihi...> wrote:

> Hi MassBirders,
>
> After Bill and I posted our respective negatives about the two Great Gray
> Owls, I received an off-list reply from Susan Hall sharing that she
> actually *did* see the Newport, NH Great Gray on Wednesday 3-8. A quick
> look at the New Hampshire listserv, via the ABA’s Birding News website,
> confirms that the bird’s absence Monday was apparently only temporary:
> http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NH
>
> While typing this, I see the question from Joe Paluzzi “So when did this
> Massachusetts GGO sighting become public?” Well, David Pritchard posted his
> photos to eBird on February 22, but they were posted as a Barred Owl, so
> nobody paid much attention at the time. It was on March 4 that Brian
> Rusnica looked at the photos and realized they were actually of a Great
> Gray, and at that time posted about it to Western Mass Birders on FaceBook.
> I relayed the news to MassBird later that evening. (I mistakenly said in my
> post that 3 days had passed between the photos being posted as a BAOW and
> their being reidentified as a GGOW; clearly my arithmetic was off, it was a
> bit longer than that)
>
> Good birding,
>
> Josh
>

> Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.