Date: 3/9/17 4:22 am
From: Alice Horst <ahorst...>
Subject: [BRDBRAIN] Swallow-tailed Kite "MIA"
I saw this report today. I am in Miami and will start watching his nest from last year.

MIA faced harsh headwinds this weekend as he attempted to cross the Gulf of Mexico - weather that could have resulted in his death. We know that Swallow-tailed Kites can endure no more than 4 days of over-water flight before becoming unable to continue. However, MIA veered east in time, with the help of a slight shift in wind direction, and found refuge on Cuba 95 miles east of Havana. The winds have calmed and shifted to southerly, providing a tailwind that will ensure an easy final leg of to Florida and an arrival close to home.

Alice Horst, Marion County FL
<Ahorst...>
Sent from my iPhone
please visit us on the web at: