Date: 3/8/17 8:00 pm
From: Ken Klapper <kklapper...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Newport and CT River Valley extras - BOWA, SNGO, etc
Katrina Fenton and I got out to see the Great Gray Owl today. What a
fantastic bird! At one point this morning we watched as it was mobbed by
several chickadees. The owl held its ground and waited for the horde to
pass - I was worried it would flush away from the field into the woods.
Many thanks to the original finder (whoever she is) for helping spread so
much joy to so many people! While in Newport we also saw a flock of 18
Bohemian Waxwings along N. Main St., feeding briefly in a crabapple tree
along the side of the road, just north of the dirt lot where people have
been parking for the owl. The continuing adult Northern Shrike and two
Bald Eagles (an adult and later a juvenile) made appearances as well.

There were TONS of waterfowl in the Connecticut River Valley today. We saw
Don Clark and later Ken Cox at Great Meadows in Charlestown - they pointed
out three pairs of Northern Pintail and a drake Gadwall among the hundreds
of Canada Geese, dozens of Mallards and Black Ducks.

We also had a conservative estimate of 2500 Canada Geese in Charlestown
across from Putnam Brothers Sugar House today. There was also a single
Snow Goose with them, a species I do not see very often in New Hampshire.
Ducks included a pair of American Wigeon, and small numbers of Common
Goldeneyes, Ring-necked Ducks, Common Mergansers, Mallards, and Black Ducks.

Unfortunately we dipped on the GWFG in Hinsdale - despite staying until
dusk searching the waterfowl flocks diligently. However, Katrina found a
drake Wood Duck, our only one for the day.

Ken Klapper
Sandwich, NH