Date: 3/8/17 7:39 pm
From: Janna Pauser <jannapauser...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] SCVAS field trip
Jim Johnson's Coyote Lake Park field trip is always a success and well
attended by the nicest group of birders. We met at the Harvey Bear
entrance on Roop Road where we had the usual nesting YELLOW BILLED
MAGPIES and some common woodland birds. A variety of duck species were
on the small pond and some well camouflaged WILSON'S SNIPE at the shore.
A single WESTERN BLUEBIRD, a close chipping ORANGE CROWNED WARBLER and a
LARK SPARROW were highlights here.

Coyote Lake Reservoir was full but muddy with few birds. We had at least
one each WESTERN and CLARK'S GREBE at our first stop and RUDDY DUCKS
scattered over much of the lake. An adult BALD EAGLE was perched in a
tree on the far side of the reservoir. VIOLET GREEN SWALLOWS were at a
tree cavity and more OCWA were heard. Chattering WHITE THROATED SWIFTS
entered cavities near the dam and NO. ROUGH WINGED SWALLOWS were active.
The elusive CANYON WREN was finally seen and a few WOOD DUCKS and a
SPOTTED SANDPIPER were found by Frank Vanslanger. We watched a large
Bobcat leisurely walking on the trail below the dam. A BAEA was seen
from the road on the way back. As we had our picnic lunch more WEBL
appeared and two RED BREASTED SAPSUCKERS flew into nearby Pepper Trees.
The perfect weather and enjoyable company made up for fewer bird species
seen.

Janna Pauser
San Jose

Join us on Facebook!