Date: 3/8/17 5:11 pm
From: <jmeredit...>
Subject: [obol] ECAS Wednesday Birders to Jefferson county
Thanks to the Madras bunch for leading us around and to some out of the
way farm ponds. It was very windy today but we managed to stay out of
the rain. First surprise was a Red-tailed Hawk trailing jesses, around
the Madras sewage pond along Grizzly. Then we had a Prairie Falcon
hunting the area giving a good show. The hoped for Black-capped
Chickadees at Trout Creek Campground made an appearance, and 2 Say's
Phoebes along the entrance road were lovely. With a lot of wind, we
didn't have many birds but the campground was a lovely place with signs
of spring, with mayflies and even a few butterflies. Chris pointed out a
couple of early blooming plant species so we found things to enjoy
besides the view. No Juncos today except one in a story. Chris told
about a DE Junco yesterday that was taken mere inches from his hand,
while he was returning a recovered window strike bird to freedom. A
cheeky Sharp-shinned got the meal.

Has anyone made contact with the new owners ( Daimler) of the truck
training site out of Madras? We didn't visit today as discussion
included no permission and a new chain link fence.

We visited new Madras sewage pond, Pelton overlook, Agency Plains,
Gateway, and Trout Creek Campground today
This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net
Canada Goose
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Green-Winged Teal, about 20 Pelton
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Barrow's Goldeneye
Hooded Merganser, 1 private pond along Juniper
Common Merganser
Ruddy Duck, Pelton, about 5
Ring-necked Pheasant, 1 in Gateway
Double-crested Cormorant, about 15 at Pelton
Great Blue Heron, about 23 in the Rookery, 10 more at edge of the water.
Bald Eagle
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk, many today, first one trailing jesses
Rough-legged Hawk
Golden Eagle, 2, Trout Creek CG
American Kestrel
Prairie Falcon, 1, sewage pond
American Coot
Killdeer
Rock Dove
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Downy Woodpecker, Trout Creek CG
Northern Flicker
Say's Phoebe, 2 or more, Trout Creek
Western Scrub-Jay, Madras
Black-billed Magpie
American Crow
Common Raven
Black-capped Chickadee, 2 or more, along and not with mixed flocks
Canyon Wren, near the bridge over Trout Creek
Mountain Bluebird, Trout Creek CG trail
Townsend's Solitaire
American Robin
European Starling
Spotted Towhee
Song Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird, singing spring song
Brewer's Blackbird
House Finch

Total number of species seen: 43
Birders today, Dan and Margi O'Brien, Chris and Pam Scranton, Denise
Fainberg, Clay Crofton, Sherrie Pierce, Mark Newdorfer, Tom Penpraze,
Diane Burgess and Judy Meredith. Next week *** early start *** and
birding all day, starting with Fort Rock and going on to Summer Lake.
This will be our trip of the season to try for Greater Sage Grouse and
look for lots of raptors and around Summer Lake, growing numbers of
waterfowl including some white geese. Good birding, Judy,
<jmeredit...>
POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!