Date: 3/8/17 4:04 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bucktoe Creek Preserve (08 Mar 2017) 18 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 18 55 55

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 7.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Majors, Evelyn Fowles, Kathleen Pileggi, Mike Fowles

Visitors:
Visitors (12): Duane Erdmann, Margretta Brokaw & Friend, Rick Casey, Mike
Fowles, Evelyn Fowles, Carol Majors, Ron Majors, Carl Mease, Kathleen
Pileggi, Tom Zunino.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!

Weather:
Mostly Sunny (25-5% cloud cover), Temps 51-60F, Winds WSW 15-30 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Bald Eagle,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (60) and
Turkey Vultures (70).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-2; 4 yr.-0; adult-0
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ It was an interesting early season day at the Southern
Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve. More pleasant
conditions (the wind was still horrible though) brought people out of
hibernation – twelve people braved the gail! Our local wine maker, Tom
Zunino stopped in, binoculars and great stories at hand…as usual. Tom is
“threatening” to bring a bottle of the wine he bottled yesterday to our
next “Wine & Cheese Woodcock Courtship Display Evening” at Marsh Creek on
the 15th. That should be great, Tom! Hawks were up a bit at this still
early date….Sharpies and Red-tails, chiefly. Then at precisely 12:25pm,
this very cool occurrence: I heard a Raven off to the North. Then, in it
comes over the treetops, but just skimming them, constantly calling. Right
by the Watch it came, just like yesterday. Calling again, It flew over our
parking lot, and DIRECTLY OVER THE HEAD of Margretta Brokaw, walking with a
friend. Now, Margretta, with her husband Tom are the landowners here at
Bucktoe Creek Preserve and support this very Watch. Here’s the thing
though… Margretta CORRECTLY & INDEPENDENTLY identified the bird as a Raven!
Incredible job, Margretta….”full-partial credit” to you! I have never
been so tempted to give “full credit” to someone - I mean, what with you
being such a nice, sweet lady, with what you and your family do here at
Bucktoe (and not a mention my job security, and all) - but rules are
rules!!! Simply put, NOBODY can revceive “full credit!” Just how cool is
that story, though!? A few of us stayed a bit late today and just as we
were leaving, two sharpies and yet another Raven came by. Full credit to
me…. LOL
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to Delaware
Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws, for their incredible
support and gracious generosity in opening their property to the public for
this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 1-Killdeer, 2-COMMON RAVEN, 1-Eastern
Towhee, 8-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0); Dragonflies (0); Reptiles &
Amphibians (0); Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.03; Steps: 11,789; Floors:
42.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 40; this season: 54
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):” None.

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like more of the same with a little less wind.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day, 9am thru 3pm (at least). Rain
or shine….
will be removed.
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by Delaware Nature
Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

Site Description:
High open meadow facing north near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):