Date: 3/8/17 1:40 pm
From: Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Yaquina Bay Long-tailed Ducks (sans long tails)
To go along with Wayne’s observations, I stopped at the South Jetty this morning to view the surf scoter flock feasting on herring eggs. There was lots of courtship going on among scoters with groups of males chasing a single female and these “pods” could been seen across the large flock. Ay one point all the ducks had paused from feeding and I scanned the flock of ducks and counted 7 long-tailed ducks (2 males and 5 females). One of the birds observed was the female with a mostly black head that Wayne observed yesterday. I know now that I have seen at least individual 8 long-tailed ducks here this year as in addition to the 7 today I previously photographed a male with a long tail.

Roy

> On Mar 7, 2017, at 8:02 PM, Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...> wrote:
>
> Since the Herring spawning event about 10 days ago, a few Long-tailed Ducks have been consorting with the Surf Scoters and other Diving Ducks eating Herring roe.
>
> These duck have the most complicated molt sequences known among waterfowl, and show an incredible range of plumages. Chuck Philo and I have been trying to keep track of individuals, and over the last 10 days have recognized 10 different individuals, although we have never seem more than 5 at one time.
>
> This afternoon, in stormy weather, I found 2 new individuals. One was a female pretty much on breeding plumage with a black head but white cheeks, white on the neck and chest, and blackish back and wings. The other is a male with longer back plumes and a prominent black tip on its bill.
>
> i have never found more than 5 Long-tails here in previous winters.
>
> Wayne

Join us on Facebook!