Date: 3/8/17 1:22 pm
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: CROSSBILLS-YES. SCOTER-NO.
Red Crossbills were still present in the Ozark NF near Shoes Lake. Bill Beall and Jim Nieting found 4 there on Saturday. Joan Reynolds and I saw 5-6 on Sunday. I was out there today again with two UA-Fayetteville graduate students, Pooja Panwar and Anant Deswhal, both with field bird song recording experience. They collected sound files that will be analyzed by Matthew Young at Cornell for determination of song types. (More on that to come).

We were joined by Charlie Lyons and Nancy Young. What an incredibly beautiful morning to visit magnificent Shortleaf Pine stands in the Ozarks. So lovely it wasn’t easy to keep looking up into the pine canopy for foraging crossbills … but we did. We also got the nuthatch trifecta (White-breasted, Red-breasted, Brown-headed).

On the way back, we stopped at Alma Wastewater Treatment Facility for the Surf Scoter present yesterday. Lots of ducks, good diversity, fine views of male shovelers in all their glory -- but no scoter.

Join us on Facebook!