Date: 3/8/17 9:54 am
From: Dixie Sommers via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows - Fairfax County
On this absolutely perfect morning, 9 birders encountered 36 species on the
wetland side of Huntley Meadows on a Northern Virginia Bird Club walk I led.
We. We had wonderful views of Wood Ducks busy with their courting, including
a male sitting on top of a nest box near the boardwalk, glowing in lovely
morning light. Sixteen Northern Shovelers also showed off their colors,
especially the males' brilliant green heads.

An Osprey circled the wetland and a number of Tree Swallows swooped, early
signs of spring.

While we heard one and saw one Red-Shouldered Hawk, we were unable to locate
the nesting spot along the path from the visitor center to the boardwalk.
Red-headed Woodpeckers put in a good appearance, and a nice group of Rusty
Blackbirds was in the woods.

Huntley Meadows Park--Boardwalk, Fairfax, Virginia, US Mar 8, 2017 8:28 AM -
11:14 AM

Protocol: Traveling

1.75 mile(s)

Comments: Northern Virginia Bird Club walk

36 species

Canada Goose 14

Wood Duck 8

Mallard 7