Date: 3/8/17 8:32 am
From: Devin Moon <moondevg...>
Subject: Henslow's Sparrow at Kingsland Prairie NA
Randy Robinson and I birded Kingsland Prairie Natural Area yesterday (3/7),
searching for the Henslow's Sparrow. This locale is just east of Kingsland
(Cleveland Co.), southwest of Pine Bluff. We found a single Henslow's
Sparrow, with help, just to the right of the sign and gate. This was a
lifer for both of us. We got some great views pictures of it as it perched
about 10 ft away from us in a sapling pine. We walked around for 2 hours
and found about 6 Eastern Towhees and probably just as many Brown-headed
Nuthatches. Also, there were several Variegated Fritillaries about, which
were first of the year for us.

After Kingsland, we went to Lake Saracen in Pine Bluff. We found a lone,
male Red-breasted Merganser and a very fidgety wren among several Swamp and
Song Sparrows in the reeds. We came away with no ID but had an inkling
that this was our target, the Marsh Wren.

We continued from Lake Saracen to another known hotbed of Marsh Wrens,
Wilbur West Rd. Wetlands. We found gobs of ducks, mostly Green-winged
Teals, and several Red-winged Blackbirds were singing around the wetland
area. A Cooper's Hawk and Red-tailed Hawk were seen flying overhead.
Nearly at the end of our search, we came upon a stand of reeds and rushes
that were rattling away. We did a little playback to get glimpses of one
Marsh Wren and we could hear the song of a second nearby.

Devin Moon
East End, AR

Join us on Facebook!