Date: 3/8/17 7:57 am
From: <rlshonkw...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET JxP, Tuesday, 7 March: A. Woodcock, A. Kestrel, FOY ducks
I birded Chicago's Jackson Park yesterday covering Wooded Island/Bobolink Meadow, the west golf course, the inner and outer harbors, 63rd Street Beach and the 59th Street promontory (north lake front). I had several first of year birds on and around Wooded Island and the inner harbor was full of Aythya ducks.
One of the first birds seen in the park in the early morning was a male RUDDY DUCK in the west lagoon of Wooded Island (FOY). Two FOX SPARROWS were found north of the island. There were 5 GREEN-WINGED and 2 BLUE-WINGED TEAL swimming together in the east lagoon (both FOY). There was another female Blue-winged Teal in the inner harbor. A pair of HOODED MERGANSERS were in the east lagoon, as well. A female was on Lake Michigan east of La Rabida Hospital. I flushed an AMERICAN WOODCOCK at the north end of the central habitat of Wooded Island (FOY). I flush a Woodcock at the south end, too, but it could have been the same bird. Two COMMON GRACKLES flew west over the island, my FOY for Illinois. Several flocks of A. ROBINS were reverse migrating.
There were 80 REDHEADS, 117 LESSER SCAUP and 9 RING-NECKED DUCKS. After much effort, and later review of some photos, I was able to identify 5 GREATER SCAUP. For some reason I've found that it is easier to spot a few smaller Lesser Scaup in a large flock of larger Greater Scaup than the other way around! There was another male Greater scaup in the outer harbor, which was easier to id, because it was swimming with 2 female Lessers. I also saw my FOY Illinois MOURNING DOVE at the inner harbor. There were 2 male NORTHERN SHOVELERS in the outer harbor. Not too many highlights after the outer harbor harbor, except as I was walking north to check Bobolink meadow an AMERICAN KESTREL passed over heading south (FOY). My full list is below.

Abbreviations: WI/BM=Wooded Island/Bobolink Meadow, GC=golf course, IH=inner harbor, OH=outer harbor, LM=Lake Michigan east of OH, 63rd = 63rd Street Beach, NLF=north lake front/59th St. prom.

Canada Goose: WI/BM (39), IH (23), OH (10), 63rd (4)
Mallard: WI/BM (11), IH (9), OH (8), 63rd (4)
Blue-winged Teal: WI/BM (2), IH (1)
N. Shoveler: OH (2)
Green-winged Teal: WI/BM (5)
Redhead: IH (80), OH (2)
Ring-necked Duck: IH (9)
Greater Scaup: IH (5), OH (1)
Lesser Scaup: IH (117), OH (2)
Common Goldeneye: WI/BM (2), IH (8), OH (2), LM (2)
Bufflehead: WI/BM (1), IH (4), OH (5), LM (4)
Hooded Merganser: WI/BM (2), LM (1)
Red-breasted Merganser: WI/BM (10), IH (1), OH (112), LM (30), 63rd (33), NLF (8)
Ruddy Duck: WI/BM (1)
Horned Grebe: OH (1), LM (1)
A. Coot: IH (4), OH (33)
Killdeer: IH (2), LM (1)
A. Woodcock: WI/BM (1)
Ring-billed Gull: WI/BM (18), OH (369), LM (26), 63rd (114), NLF (96)
Herring Gull: OH (9), LM (2), 63rd (1), NLF (1)
Mourning Dove: IH (1)
Red-bellied Woodpecker: WI/BM (1)
Downy Woodpecker: WI/BM (1), GC (1)
Hairy Woodpecker: WI/BM (1)
A. Kestrel: WI/BM (1)
A. Crow: WI/BM (4), GC (7), IH (2), OH (5), 63rd (3)
Black-capped Chickadee: WI/BM (2), GC (2)
A. Robin: WI/BM (30), GC (5), IH (2), OH (2)
Euro. Starling: WI/BM (2)
A. Tree Sparrow: IH (1)
Fox Sparrow: WI/BM (2)
Song Sparrow: WI/BM (2), IH (1), OH (8), 63rd (5), NLF (4)
Dark-eyed Junco: WI/BM (6), GC (8)
N. Cardinal: WI/BM (5), GC (2), IH (4)
Common Grackle: WI/BM (2)
Red-winged Blackbird: WI/BM (3), IH (2)