Date: 3/8/17 7:13 am
Subject: Hawk question
I had a hawk sitting in a tree right off my deck. Buteo shape without a long accipiter tail. The tail did not have prominent banding. It had a light colored breast with dark streaking. The streaking was not a band across the chest like on sees on a Red-tailed Hawk, but covered much of the chest with no hint of a lighter throat patch. It had a bright yellow cere. So my best guess is that it was a juvenile red-shouldered hawk.

Do last year's juveniles still retain their juvenile plumage into March, or could it be a 2017 juvenile?

Tom Krakauer
Bahama, NC

Sent from my iPad

Join us on Facebook!