Date: 3/8/17 6:04 am
From: Ashley Peele <ashpeele...>
Subject: [Va-bird] On the Hunt for VA's Breeding Birds
Good Wednesday morning!

Early this morning, I sat on my porch and marveled at the huge upswing in
bird activity around our place. Phoebes are singing and nest-building
under my eaves. Carolina Wrens are doing the same thing. I watched
White-breasted Nuthatch courtship behavior in our woods yesterday. The
season is in full swing and these behaviors are occurring much earlier than
last year.

For those of you who have not yet done so, remember to *switch your eBird
data entry over to the Atlas portal (ebird.org/atlasva
<http://ebird.org/atlasva>*). Spring is upon us and the time for Atlas
data entry has begun.

*Don’t forget that a unique and important element of the Atlas project is
confirming as many species as you can within about 20 hours of effort in a
given block, then moving on! *You don’t need to worry about re-documenting
breeding behavior for the same species in the same blocks this season. If
you feel you’ve completed an Atlas block, notify your regional coordinator
and move on to a new priority block in your area.

Check out a recent article on the Atlas project in *VA Wildlife Magazine*.
Last Fall, I put out a call to gauge how many of our Atlas volunteers were
also hunters or fishermen. We really appreciated your responses, some of
which were used by the reporter in this article.

Follow this link to view the PDF of this article, *On the Hunt for
Virginia’s Breeding Birds
<http://amjv.org/resources_vabba2/On_the_Hunt_for_VAs_Breeding_Birds.pdf>*.

Spring is upon us early, but we’re raring to go for Season Two of the Atlas
project. Don’t forget about our *spring training sessions* being offered
in March, April, and May of this year. Check out www.vabba2.org for
details!

Lastly, don't forget to check out the *new Atlas Facebook group* here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/VABBA2/. If you're a FB user, it's a great
and easy way to share breeding observations and photos with the community.
The group is already receiving some interesting posts and generating good
conversation.

Sorry for the doozy email, but lots to share with the birding community
this lovely Wednesday morning.

A Tree Swallow just flew by my office window... Spring is definitely here!
Enjoy it and happy birding!

Ashley Peele, PhD
Virginia Breeding Bird Atlas Coordinator
Conservation Management Institute - Virginia Tech
Office: 540-231-9182
Fax: 540-231-7019