Date: 3/8/17 5:32 am
From: <asb1960...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Death report
This is really sad, and very strange. I remember the death last year as
well. Maybe something good can come out of these deaths in the way of
some sort of investigation that would hopefully lead to the answer as
to why this is happening. Make you wonder if there is something in
the nest material that is contributing to this? This spot seems to be
an attractive nesting site for them and hopefully any future pairs
will be saved.
It was a good thing you were there when that happened, as hard as it
was to witness. Thank you for bringing it to Grafton and trying to
save the Raven. Andrea Bean On 03/07/17, M BH<mimibixh...>
wrote: Hello Massbirders:
Unfortunately, I have sad news. The raven pair 12 miles north of
Boston died today. I swung by early this morning in hope of observing
them before the rain. To my utter shock and bewilderment, within a
couple of minutes of arriving, one of the two ravens fell out of the
sky and plummeted down the rock face straight down to the rocky hill
below its nest. I couldn't believe my eyes. After confirming for
myself what I had witnessed, I waited for a friend, another local
birder, to arrive and help me with transferring the bird to Grafton
Wildlife Clinic. We were able to safely transport the bird to Grafton,
but by the time we arrived its breathing was depressed. Grafton
reported to me that despite their best efforts to keep it alive it
died within 45 minutes of being dropped off. They also reported that
they were puzzled because its blood work did not show rodenticide and
nether blunt force trauma nor bullet wounds were observed externally.
They promised to update me further following a necropsy. As for the
dead raven's mate, it appears to be dead in its nest.
Such a sad and troubling end for this beautiful pair. It is especially
troubling because this is the second consecutive year that a raven has
died in its nest in this spot.
I am hoping that the necropsy will provide answers.
Sincerely,Mimi Bix-Hylan

Join us on Facebook!