Date: 3/7/17 4:41 pm
From: M BH <mimibixh...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Death report
Hello Massbirders:

Unfortunately, I have sad news. The raven pair 12 miles north of Boston
died today. I swung by early this morning in hope of observing them before
the rain. To my utter shock and bewilderment, within a couple of minutes of
arriving, one of the two ravens fell out of the sky and plummeted down the
rock face straight down to the rocky hill below its nest. I couldn't
believe my eyes. After confirming for myself what I had witnessed, I waited
for a friend, another local birder, to arrive and help me with transferring
the bird to Grafton Wildlife Clinic. We were able to safely transport the
bird to Grafton, but by the time we arrived its breathing was depressed.
Grafton reported to me that despite their best efforts to keep it alive it
died within 45 minutes of being dropped off. They also reported that they
were puzzled because its blood work did not show rodenticide and nether
blunt force trauma nor bullet wounds were observed externally. They
promised to update me further following a necropsy. As for the dead raven's
mate, it appears to be dead in its nest.

Such a sad and troubling end for this beautiful pair. It is especially
troubling because this is the second consecutive year that a raven has died
in its nest in this spot.

I am hoping that the necropsy will provide answers.

Sincerely,
Mimi Bix-Hylan

Join us on Facebook!