Date: 3/7/17 4:03 pm
From: William Haddad <photobill9...>
Subject: [BRDBRAIN] Solitary Sandpiper, Ash-throated Flycatcher, Black-necked Stilt, Painted Bunting, Marsh Wren and more at Viera this morning
A nice cool, cloudy morning for birding resulted in my best Viera trip this year. The Click Ponds were open or should I say Pond because the back pond is absolutely dry but the first one has some water and that is were the one Black-necked Stilt was, along with Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs and Blue-winged Teale. The Solitary Sandpiper was a FOY for me and was on the north side of the second pond in the main wetlands along with many Wilson’s Snipe and common wetland birds. Elsewhere, the stretch of Cattails past and around the corner from the small rotunda, usually good for small birds, did not disappoint. In that stretch I saw the Marsh Wren, female Painted Bunting, Savannah and Swamp Sparrows, Common Yellowthroat and House Wren.!

Other notable birds in the main wetlands (Grissom) included Caracara, Royal Tern and four Duck species – Ring-necked, Hooded Merganser, No. Shovelor,and B.W. Teale. A Great Egret tried unsuccessfully to swallow a Tilapia. Saw several Harriers and Red-shouldered Hawks. Met Chris Ferro at the Moccasson Island Conservation area and he was watching the Ash-throated Flycatcher which I was able to see. Heard but did not see Meadowlarks after walkinkg the trail to the left. Chris and I were surprised the flycatcher was still around. It was that kind of day!

Bill Haddad
Palm Bay, Fl.
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

please visit us on the web at: