Date: 3/7/17 12:45 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden-Day #3 Of Birding In A Wind Tunnel Tuesday 3-7-17
Hello Bird People,

I thought today was even more windy than yesterday's Kane County
adventure which is saying something as yesterday was mighty windy. At
the CBG today it was almost impossible to see land birds as they were
all hiding from the wind & also hard to see waterfowl as it was very
hard to hold your bino's steady. Those who went out today earned
whatever birds they did see.
I must admit that I saw few exciting birds, only a couple migrants, &
so this needs a warning that the listed birds are of "local interest
only".

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:30-11 a.m.)

P.B. Grebe (1)
Canada Goose (43, scattered)
WOOD DUCK (1-PR, 1st back of the breeding Wood Ducks at the B.Brown Pond)
Mallard (12, also scattered)
Green Winged Teal (7 at the backwater Rt68 area & 3 at the B.Brown Pond)
Shoveler (5-M & 1-F all at the B.Brown Pond)
Gadwall (8, also at the B.Brown Pond)
(It should obvious that the puddle/dabbling ducks like the B.Brown Pond)
Bufflehead (2-PR)
Common Goldeneye (13)
Red Breasted Merganser (1-M)
(The diving ducks like the deeper water ponds)
Cooper's Hawk (1 chased, but missed, a Robin)
Red Tailed Hawk (1-AD)
Kestrel (1-M)
Killdeer (2 in the Rt68 backwaters)
Ring Billed (2) & Herring (3) Gulls (all at the backwater area)
Mourning Dove (5)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (1 in the main woods)
Blue Jay (1 or 2)
Chickadee (8-9)
Robins (30-35)
Starling (27 in one group)
Cardinal (1-PR)
Tree Sparrow (6 in the prairie)
FOX SPARROW (2 actual migrants!)
Song Sparrow (4 of which 2 were singing)
(For the 1st time all Winter I saw zero Junco's today at this location)
Red Winged Blackbird (25-30)
Grackle (4-5)
House Finch (1 singing male & a pair all on the Fruit & Vegetable Garden Island)
Goldfinch (6 at or near the thistle feeders)
House Sparrow (8-10)

If that adds up to 31 species (& it does) that's all I had today.
After a Subway lunch I stopped briefly at Techny Basin North but the
wind was so strong at that open area I could not deal with the ducks
that were there which included Mallards, Shovelers & Green Winged
Teal. Also 1 Kestrel was flying while calling.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the only certain migrants seen which were the 2 Fox Sparrows.
Runner-Up to the only provider of today's excitement which was the
attacking Cooper's Hawk.
Fancy Pants Bird Of The Day to the returning male Wood Duck but that
species would probably win that award any day it was seen.

Al Stokie
In Cook County dealing (sort of) with the wind

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: