Date: 3/7/17 12:39 pm
From: Dennis Thompson <cndthomps...>
Subject: [ia-bird] IOU spring meeting
The IOU 2017 spring meeting will be held in Chariton on May 5-7. We're
doing it a bit differently this time by partnering with the Lucas County
tourism board for their inaugural Lucas County Birding Festival. It will be
open to the public, but the format will similar to our regular IOU meetings.
We'll have field trips in the mornings and several presentations and
workshops on Saturday afternoon, including a Trumpeter Swan release. There
will a banquet Saturday evening with a keynote speaker. Our speaker this
year is Heather Sanders from Ankeny. She participated in an EarthWatch
expedition last summer to study Flammulated Owls in northern Utah. It
should be a fun and informative program.

Lucas County has the second highest percentage of public land in Iowa and
has two of Iowa's Bird Conservation Areas (BCA's) - Stephens Forest and 1000
Acre Forest. The forests and grasslands host the typical southern Iowa
specialties, including Northern Bobwhite, Northern Mockingbird and several
resident warblers. While not extensive, there are several nice wetlands in
the county. As always, who knows what spring migration will bring. We'll
also offer a night outing for Whip-poor-will and Chuck-will's-widow.
There's a good chance for staked-out Barn Owl nests.

Attached is an infographic that outlines the details (as of now) about the
festival. One difference from previous IOU meetings is that registration
for the festival will be handled through the Lucas County Tourism Board site
instead of the IOU webpage. The registration process is still being
finalized, but once it's completed I will have links to the site on the IOU
website under the Next Meeting tab. As you can see, registration costs are
quite reasonable at $10/Individual, $15/couple, $20/family and $5/student.

Mark your calendars and plan to join us for a fun and birdy weekend in Lucas
County. Registration will be available soon. I'll be sending out more
information as it becomes available, but please contact me if you have any
questions. Hope to see you in Chariton.

Denny Thompson

IOU Vice-president