Date: 3/7/17 11:33 am
From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Trumpeter swans in the Willamette basin
I don't have the details handy right now, but a few years ago, I remember
finding at least a couple of Trumpeters in the Halsey swan flock. And the
big swan flock along Hwy 99W, south of Junction City, is another one that
often had a few Trumpeters with it in recent years.

Hendrik

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 11:24 AM, Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
wrote:

> *
>
> I got it backwards--I meant Halsey, which is the northern part of the H
> pair, in Linn County. I think I've been to Harrisburg about twice in my
> life. I recall the earliest reports from Halsey about 71/72 involved a
> thousand Tundra Swans. Doug Robinson counted two thousand, this winter
> maybe? Alpha-numeric collars on some of these birds show that they
> sometimes visit Ridgefield NWR, Roy(Banks)in Wash. Co. and Halsey w/in the
> same 30 day period. The last two winters I've seen Tundra Swans west of
> Tangent, near the famous eagle roost. I didn't three and four years ago
> when I was visiting the area frequently.
> Tundra Swans began showing up on the central Oregon coast, Alsea to
> Coos Bay, in the seventies, and their number grew modestly each year before
> they disappeared completely. They were recorded on every Coos CBC for well
> over a decade. Now they are absent from that count for a decade at a time.
> I sort of expected something similar to happen with these small spots of
> Trumpeters.
> Lars
> On Mar 7, 2017, at 11:04 AM, Bill Tice wrote:
>
> > Lars brings up a good point. It would be good to add that the Airlie
> Swan flock is in all likelihood spreading out as their territory is being
> infringed upon by new filbert orchards and grape vineyards. This winter
> they have not been in that area as consistently as in former years. Also,
> Lars may have been including the swan flock now near Halsey in mentioning
> Harrisburg and there have been reports via eBird of Trumpeters near Halsey
> this winter. Good stuff. Maybe a whooper Swan will show up in the valley
> soon?????
> >
> > Bill TicePOST: Send your post to <obol...>
> > JOIN OR QUIT: http://www.freelists.org/list/obol
> > OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol
> > Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>
> >

> POST: Send your post to <obol...>