Date: 3/7/17 11:26 am
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Trumpeter swans in the Willamette basin
*

I got it backwards--I meant Halsey, which is the northern part of the H pair, in Linn County. I think I've been to Harrisburg about twice in my life. I recall the earliest reports from Halsey about 71/72 involved a thousand Tundra Swans. Doug Robinson counted two thousand, this winter maybe? Alpha-numeric collars on some of these birds show that they sometimes visit Ridgefield NWR, Roy(Banks)in Wash. Co. and Halsey w/in the same 30 day period. The last two winters I've seen Tundra Swans west of Tangent, near the famous eagle roost. I didn't three and four years ago when I was visiting the area frequently.
Tundra Swans began showing up on the central Oregon coast, Alsea to Coos Bay, in the seventies, and their number grew modestly each year before they disappeared completely. They were recorded on every Coos CBC for well over a decade. Now they are absent from that count for a decade at a time. I sort of expected something similar to happen with these small spots of Trumpeters.
Lars
On Mar 7, 2017, at 11:04 AM, Bill Tice wrote:

> Lars brings up a good point. It would be good to add that the Airlie Swan flock is in all likelihood spreading out as their territory is being infringed upon by new filbert orchards and grape vineyards. This winter they have not been in that area as consistently as in former years. Also, Lars may have been including the swan flock now near Halsey in mentioning Harrisburg and there have been reports via eBird of Trumpeters near Halsey this winter. Good stuff. Maybe a whooper Swan will show up in the valley soon?????
>
> Bill TicePOST: Send your post to <obol...>

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!