Date: 3/7/17 5:24 am
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: GULLS: NATURE’S FISH FINDER
Thatís the title of a story by Flip Putthoff in this morningís NWA Outdoors (section E) of the Northwest Arkansas Democrat Gazette. Flip explores the link between small fish like Threadfin Shad and some of the most sought after fish on Beaver Lake, Striped Bass. He and a buddy hauled in a few big stripers (and others) as part of the research for this story. Itís an interesting fishing trip on Beaver that I think most who enjoy birds will appreciate and learn from.

If you do get to this story, also check out ďNew look for wildlife trail,Ē also by Flip. Somewhere, between research on gulls and fishing, he went over to Eagle Watch Nature Trail for a tour guided by Terry Stanfill. From reading this, I learned 19,000 people have filled out visitorís slips during visits to the viewing stands. From my experience at Eagle Watch, Iíd say 19,000 represents around 200,000 visits since the project commenced in 1999.

In terms of environmental education accomplished, Iíd rank Terryís efforts at Eagle Watch second to none in northwest Arkansas. Eagle Watch is listed by Audubon Arkansas as an Important Bird Area and for very good reason. Itís also an Important Education Area. And for retirees like me, itís also an Important Relaxation Area. Entrance to Eagle Watch is free and open to the public. Incredible value for a truly one-of-a-kind experience.

Join us on Facebook!