Date: 3/7/17 1:28 am
From: Evan Centanni <evan...>
Subject: [obol] Swan ID (Ankeny NWR)
This past Sunday at Ankeny NWR, after successfully chasing the Tufted
Duck at Pintail Marsh despite icy winds and rain, Caleb and I headed
over to Eagle Marsh for a quick check.

There were five swans in the water, one of which had no yellow on its
bill. However, we concluded based on the shape of its facial features
that it was still a Tundra Swan, and not a Trumpeter. Yesterday an
eBird alert informed me of an as-yet-unconfirmed report of a Trumpeter
Swan from the refuge, which I'm guessing was the same bird.

I'm still inclined to think ours was a Tundra Swan, but would be happy
to know what more experienced birders think (and if we're correct, to
warn others of this possibly misidentified bird showing up in eBird
alerts). A photo of it appears in my eBird checklist here:

Cheers,
Evan

--
Evan Centanni
www.polgeonow.com

POST: Send your post to <obol...> JOIN OR QUIT:
http://www.freelists.org/list/obol OBOL archives:
www.freelists.org/archive/obol Contact moderator:
<obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!