Date: 3/6/17 4:53 pm
From: Jay Gamble <jpgamble1...>
Subject: [NHBirds] GGOW continues - seen at 6:02pm Monday evening
The Great Gray Owl does continue in Newport. I counted 85 birders during
the time I was present from 4:00pm to 6:05pm, and unfortunately, the owl
did not appear for most of them.

I was one of five observers who lingered on the footbridge over the Sugar
River to the point of darkness to see if it showed up to feed over the
fields at dusk.

As we gave up and walked out along the path towards Route 120, it was first
spotted sitting atop a dead Birch stub in near darkness by Cory Ross who
was 50 feet ahead of us on the trail. The bird was about 25 feet to the
north of the trail.

All 5 of us saw the GGOW between 6:02pm and 6:05pm. The owl was active and
seemed to fly towards the airport fields.

I took a hand held documentation photo at ISO 16,000 with a 1/30 sec
shutter speed.

http://ebird.org/ebird/nh/view/checklist/S35014440

Jay Gamble
Sunapee, NH