Date: 3/6/17 3:04 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
A large group of over 30 birders collected today for the Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk.  We identified some 52 species, with highlights being our first Pine Warbler of the season; a full sweep of Woodpecker species;  a lone female Bufflehead Duck; and huge collections of Rusty Blackbirds and Grackles.  Birders who may be thinking of joining us some morning should keep in mind that beginning with the walk on March 20, we will be starting at 7AM.
Canada Goose  6
Wood Duck  21
Gadwall  2
Mallard  18
American Black Duck x Mallard (hybrid)  1
Blue-winged Teal  1
Northern Shoveler  8
Green-winged Teal  13
Bufflehead  1
Hooded Merganser  4
Pied-billed Grebe  3
Great Blue Heron  3
Black Vulture  5
Turkey Vulture  1
Cooper's Hawk  1
Bald Eagle  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
American Coot  7
Ring-billed Gull  4
Mourning Dove  8
Red-headed Woodpecker  6
Red-bellied Woodpecker  13
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Downy Woodpecker  6
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  3
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Phoebe  2
Blue Jay  2
American Crow  40
Fish Crow  13
crow sp.  2
Tree Swallow  4
Carolina Chickadee  10
Tufted Titmouse  8
White-breasted Nuthatch  8
Brown Creeper  4
Carolina Wren  5
Golden-crowned Kinglet  6
Eastern Bluebird  3
Hermit Thrush  2
American Robin  17
Pine Warbler  1
White-crowned Sparrow  1
White-throated Sparrow  28
Song Sparrow  4
Swamp Sparrow  6
Eastern Towhee  3
Northern Cardinal  12
Red-winged Blackbird  40
Rusty Blackbird  100
Common Grackle  200
House Sparrow  1

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 8AM (7AM from March  through November), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry GlasgowFriends of Huntley Meadows Park