Date: 3/6/17 1:24 pm
Subject: Re: (Eurasian) Green-winged teal Ocean Isle Beach NC
Hey Taylor I was down there over the weekend and talked about going to the WWTP on Friday as we were coming off Ocean Isle. Since I figured there had not been much at Twin Lakes I assumed wrongly about the WWTP. Will not take it for granted next time. Still had a good population of shorebirds at the east end of SSB -just before the tide reaches its high point that is where there is some mudflats still not covered  by the tide. Since we stay on SSB am able to check that out a good bit. Not much on the ocean but did see a few red breasted mergansers and a few red throated loons at the east end of the beach.  Best regards, Monroe Pannell Conover,NC Catawba Co.

On Monday, March 6, 2017 2:11 PM, Taylor Piephoff <carolinabirds...> wrote:

I observed a male this morning at the Ocean Isle Beach Wastewater Treatment Plant. Conspicuous and obvious horizontal pale stripe on the scapulars and no hint of a vertical white bar. Pale markings on the face were not obvious.
There is still a good number of ducks on the ponds here. The teal generally forage in the cattail patches that line some of the shorelines. They can be tough to see when doing this. I was fortunate to arrive when plant staff were around the ponds resulting in the ducks bunching up in the middle of the ponds to wait for staff to leave.
If anyone is interested in trying for this bird I park outside the gate and walk left along the chain link fence. Most of the birds were in the second pond to the left. In recent years staff have been reluctant to allow entry by birders but are used to seeing birders outside the fence. Depending on who you talk to you might be able to gain short-term entry.

Taylor Piephoff
Matthews, NC

Join us on Facebook!