Date: 3/6/17 6:47 am
From: Steve Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Southeastern NH trip for Mass Audubon
Yesterday, Jane and I led a trip for the Joppa Flats Education Center at
Massachusetts Audubon. We had a nice group of 7 birders for a day of
exploration.

http://www.massaudubon.org/get-outdoors/wildlife-sanctuaries/joppa-flats

Usually we start this trip along the coast, but because of the bitter
cold and strong winds, we decided to start inland; visiting the Exeter
Wastewater Treatment Plant, then Chapman's Landing in Stratham, and the
Great Bay Discovery Center. We then headed over to the north part of
the coast and worked our way south from Great Island Common in New
Castle, Odiorne Point State Park, Seal Rocks, Rye Harbor area, Eel Pond,
Bicentennial Park, and the Hampton harbor area to finish the day.

The weather was sunny, but bitter cold in the morning and strong winds.
Temperatures were in the teens and the windchill was far below that.
The temperatures eased to nearly 32F by the end of the day, but the
winds didn't really let up as I had hoped, so the day was uncomfortable
at best! The recent cold snap had also frozen many areas that had been
open. The south shoreline of Great Bay was FROZEN! As was Eel Pond,
and the coastal salt marshes.

Complete list of birds = 42 species
Canada Goose
Mute Swan - 4 on ocean near Little Boar's Head in North Hampton
American Black Duck
Mallard
Green-winged Teal - 3 at Odiorne
Ring-necked Duck - 6 at Exeter Wastewater Treatment Plant
Greater Scaup - 3 females at Odiorne (odd location)
Lesser Scaup - Big flock of 45 continues at Exeter Wastewater Treatment
Plant
Common Eider
Surf Scoter
White-winged Scoter
Black Scoter - 1 immature male at Odiorne.
Long-tailed Duck - Distant views only
Bufflehead - Several in Rye harbor.
Common Goldeneye
Hooded Merganser - 4 at Exeter wastewater treatment plant. More at
Chapman's Landing in Stratham and on Eel Pond in Rye.
Common Merganser - Several at Chapman's Landing in Stratham including
some beautiful flybys.
Red-breasted Merganser
Common Loon - Including one molting into breeding plumage.
Horned Grebe
Red-necked Grebe - Two getting near breeding plumage at Odiorne.
Great Cormorant - Several birds at Concord Point in Rye, approaching
full breeding plumage!
Turkey Vulture - About 3 for the day.
Bald Eagle - 4 total for the day including some nice flyovers. 1
immature at Exeter Treatment plant. 2 immatures at Chapman's Landing
(not the suspected pair), and 1 adult at Great Island Common in New Castle.
Northern Harrier - Surprise female flying low in front of us at Great
Bay Discovery Center in Stratham.
Red-tailed Hawk - Several for the day.
Killdeer - 2 at Ragged Neck at Rye harbor State Park.
Purple Sandpiper - About 3 at Seal Rocks in Rye.
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Iceland Gull - Surprise flyby of adult at Great Bay Discovery Center in
Stratham. Sadly, the adult Glaucous Gull did not make an appearance in
the late afternoon.
Great Black-backed Gull
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove