Date: 3/6/17 6:22 am
From: Logan Parker <lparker.mainelakes...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Sunday Highlights: Scarborough Marsh to Wharton Point
Taking advantage of what free time I had this weekend, I hopped on I-295 and headed down to Scarborough to see if I could pick up the Snow Goose continuing in the marsh. I had eyes to the skies for my first Turkey Vulture of the year while driving, but saw none.

Eastern Point Trail:
- The deep freeze this weekend locked up a lot the previously open water in the area and I wasn't able to locate some of duck species that have recently been observed. The waters behind Pelreco were frozen solid. From a blustery vantage point on the first bridge on the Eastern Point Trail, I did locate the Snow Goose resting on the stream bank among the Canada Geese, Mallards, and Black Ducks. Horned Lark, American Tree Sparrows, and a single Song Sparrow were active along the edge of the path while making my way back to the car. Across the road, I observed a single Northern Pintail in the stream among the other ducks and geese.

Kettle Cove:
- En route to Kettle Cove, a single female Northern Harrier passed over Spurwink Rd. Upon arrival at midday, I found Brant (9) foraging on the beach just off the rocks. They remained in the area for 20 minutes or so before floating out into the cove and eventually flying off out of sight. Otherwise the cove was very quiet.

Wharton Point:
- I arrived at Wharton Point in the early afternoon to find a great number of ducks out in the bay. Conditions for observation were not ideal (it was very bright and the ducks were far out/backlit), but I was able to pick out just 3 Greater Scaup among the multitudes of Mallards. A handful of Dunlin (6) worked the edge of the shore just below where the gulls were resting and newly arrived Common Grackles were vocal throughout my time on the point. A single Northern Mockingbird perched atop a multiflora rose tangle.