Date: 3/6/17 5:11 am
From: <pcollins...> <pcollins...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch 03/05/17

Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ, March 5, 2017
8:00am - 2:00pm

A cloudy day that started with little wind and ended with blowing dust.

About 40 people with Tucson Audubon’s Green Valley Raptor Program joined the watch today.
The Black Hawks played hard to get. Thankfully the local Kestrel, Red-tailed hawks and Cooper’s hawk were eventually willing to fly. The group practiced their new hawk id skills. I broke out the emergency Black Hawk poster. A few Turkey Vultures made demonstration flights over the park.
Finally a Peregrine took pity on us and made a low pass directly overhead.
That was all the raptors I could muster before people started drifting away.
The Raptor Program folks will try again mid-month.
At 1:07 there was a short break in the clouds and we located two Black Hawks high over the interstate north of the park while we were tracking a trio of Red-tails. We added a Caracara just before 2:00 as the weather deteriorated.
At 2:00 I followed the dust north to Vail.

Migrating Raptors:
Common Black Hawk 2
Crested Caracara 1
Turkey Vulture 19