Date: 3/5/17 9:43 pm
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Tufted Duck imm male or female
Hi:

I was wondering why folks were calling this bird an immature male. It is
March, a young male Tufted should be looking much like an adult male by
now. Dusky sides and some worn juvie plumage all that should be remaining
(Reeber's book page 483 photo 432). This looks like a female to me, it's
eye looks bright yellow, an adult feature. Reeber, in his book Waterfowl of
N Amer Europe and Asia ,states that female Tufted usually do not get the
yellow eye until "later in the second year". I was thinking this is an ASY
female. Anyone notice white patches on undertail-coverts? The white seems
to wear off as the feathers age, so that feature of females might not be
obvious or even present.

Bob Archer
PDX

Join us on Facebook!