Date: 3/5/17 8:08 pm
From: Jon Houghton <jon.houghton...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Cross-billed Finch in Edmonds??
Hi Tweets - well, after my rant about a finch-free Okanogan, I thought the Finch Gods had made up for it a bit today when I found a red finch with a distinctly crossed bill at my feeders! I took photos and sent it to jury of superior birders (including Dennis Paulson) who have deemed it to be a "Cross-billed (House) Finch", rather than my initial diagnosis of "Striped Crossbill". Photos are on my ebird checklist at: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S34995246. In fact, it could be some sort of hybrid; Dennis said he photographed a probable Red Crossbill/Pine Siskin hybrid last year. No wonder us mortals get confused sometimes! Happy Birding! - Jon Houghton, Edmonds