Date: 3/5/17 5:18 pm
From: James V Remsen <najames...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Bell's Vireo, Say's Phoebe etc., 4 March, Venice etc.
LABIRD: 7 of us (me, Dan Lane, Cameron Rutt, Josh Sylvest, Joan Garvey, Mark Meaner, David Muth) headed to lower Plaquemines Parish, mostly to see what we could find in woods not covered on our (Muth-Meunier-me) 18 Feb. trip.

At. W. Ravenna Rd., we had a Say’s Phoebe (far edge of cattle pens area), Brewer’s Blackbird (cattle pens), an impressive commuter flight of at least 200 Yellow-headed Blackbirds, and a male Vermilion Flycatcher. On E. Ravenna, we had a Western Kingbird.

We couldn’t go past Diamond without making a cursory check for the Black-headed Grosbeak we found there on 2/18. No luck, but we had an amazing 7 Western Kingbirds, plus the Broad-winged Hawk and several Scissor-taileds: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S34975277

At Ft. Jackson woods, we had 3 Black-throated Greens, 2 Black-and-whites, 2 Yellow-throateds: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S34980300

We spent a fair amount of time at The Jump area looking for the Shiny Cowbird (found 2/18), including putting our bird seed for bait, but no luck, and the big Bronzed Cowbird flock that hung out there at the pigeon and chicken coops was not present. We did rack up about 20 Lesser Black-backed Gulls between there and the Venice landfill, but no other unusual species despite good numbers of gulls: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S34981798

We then worked woodlots along the Boothville River Road that we hadn’t previously visited, except for the Bell’s Vireo spot, where the bird was still present but very difficult to even glimpse. We found 2 Ovenbirds, 2 Painted Buntings, and 1 Broad-winged Hawk: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S34982755

Dr. J. V. Remsen
Prof. of Natural Science and Curator of Birds
Museum of Natural Science/Dept. Biological Sciences
LSU, Baton Rouge, LA 70803
najames<at>LSU.edu<http://lsu.edu>

Join us on Facebook!