Date: 3/5/17 4:42 pm
From: Brendon Lake <brendonlake10...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Kane County Meanderings - 3/5
Greetings all! Had a fun time birding today in Kane County, so I thought I would run you through my highlights. All in all the day wound up producing 56 species! Here goes:
Stonegate Subdivision in Hampshire (Allen Road, west of Harmony Road): One each, singing Eastern and Western Meadowlarks. The Western Meadowlark sat atop a post, hunkered down and tucked in while singing in the wind.
Pingree Grove: A retention pond in the Cambridge Lakes subdivision at the intersection of Wester Boulevard and Route 72 had Redhead, Ring-Necked Ducks, and a drake Canvasback. At the water treatment plant marsh (corner of Wester Boulevard and Reinking Road) it seems two Mute Swans have decided they like the marsh. Not much else on the water in the marsh, most of the ducks were on the large, fenced-off lake, too distant for looks.
Burnidge Forest Preserve, Elgin: More Ring-Necked Ducks, Redheads, and a couple of Green-Winged Teal.
Carpentersville Dam: The first Chipmunk of the spring! As for birds, nothing out of the ordinary.
Gail Borden Library, Elgin: Over a thousand Sandhill Cranes flew over us, no Whooping Cranes were seen, however. Also, a Cooper's Hawk, four Turkey Vultures, and a Red-Tailed Hawk.
A flock of 8 American White Pelicans was circling higher and higher over Route 31 and US-20 in Elgin.
Jon Duerr Forest Preserve: A TON OF BUGS!!! And with those bugs, an estimated 60(!!!!) Tree Swallows! I took brief video of the swallows, but their zipping around was very difficult to capture. They loved life high over the quarry area along the trolley tracks! Another 75 flyover Sandhill Cranes, 38 flyover American White Pelicans, and a lone female Common Goldeneye (the only one on the day) were also notable.
Fabyan Forest Preserve: A Pied-Billed Grebe was in the spillway, and six White-Throated Sparrows were foraging in the woods along the bike trail just before it loops out to the island in the middle of the river.
Nelson Lake: American Wigeon, American Black Duck, Gadwall, Hooded Merganser, Bufflehead, and a Northern Harrier all seen from the east side overlook were new for the day. Our only Great Blue Heron flew over here as well.
Finally, the way to end the day, a successful (and very easy) snipe hunt! One Wilson's Snipe and two Killdeer were in a small fluddle off of Meredith Road, south of Route 38 in Virgil.
Sorry about the long post, it was a long day!Good birding!
Brendon LakeBurlington, Kane County

Join us on Facebook!