Date: 3/5/17 1:21 pm
From: Ryan Phillips <harpiabz...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [SBB] Coyote Valley, 3/4/17
Thanks for the post Rob.
All,Disappointing to hear the lack of ethics and consciousness by birding photographers especially when it comes to sensitive species. This has been an issue in the past and the reason I am reluctant to post sensitive species finds.
Just FYI to people flushing birds for photos. This is considered take!
Please think of the birds first before your photographs.
I know many photographers in the area follow strict ethics but those that don't please educate yourself and think about how you are impacting wildlife instead of getting that full frame photo.
Good birding,Ryan Phillips

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 9:04 PM, Robert Furrow <robertfurrow...> [south-bay-birds]<south-bay-birds-noreply...> wrote:

Today the Intermediate Birding class from the Palo Alto Adult School birded Coyote Valley.  It was birdy, but like others we also noted a lack of shrikes and Ferruginous Hawks.  On the other hand, love was in the air, with copulating Red-shouldered Hawks and American Kestrels, and breeding display flights of Red-tailed Hawks and White-tailed Kites.
We started at Coyote Valley Open Space Preserve, with our trip highlighted by 2 GOLDEN EAGLES, 1 SHARP-SHINNED HAWK, and 2 ROCK WRENS.
On Laguna Ave, the continuing 2 BURROWING OWLS were easy to see.  We did our best to keep our distance and avoid flushing the birds.  However, some photographers were not so careful.  But we had a productive conversation to inform them of the need to avoid disturbing the birds.  We had a pair of GOLDEN EAGLES soaring above us here as well.  (Unlike the 2 singletons at the OSP).
From the parking lot of the Gavilan College extension site (off of Bailey Ave west of Santa Teresa Blvd, across from IBM), we enjoyed the pond that hosted 2 HOODED MERGANSERS and 1 COMMON GALLINULE, among other ducks.
Happy birding,Rob Furrow

--
Robert FurrowSan Mateo, CA 94402