Date: 3/5/17 1:00 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report
*SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Field Trip Report*

Barbara, Fred and Kay were joined by eight (8) other birdwatchers for the
Salem Audubon bird walk today. The bird walk lasted almost three hours as
they covered three miles of trails in the park. The group was met with
cloudy skies and cool temperatures. Temperature-wise it was 34 degrees at
the start and 40 degrees at the finish. A total of 43 species were
observed (saw or heard).

The highlights were as follows:

· One of the nicest sightings was *Black-crowned Night-Heron* that flew
up from north end of oxbow near parking lot # 3. It was smaller than great
blue heron and larger than green heron. It had a black cap on its head and
grayish lower body. We will continue to confirm if this bird remains at
the park;

· Saw our FOY *Turkey Vulture*;

· Saw two *Bald Eagles*;

· We observed four woodpecker species including *Northern
Flicker*, *Downy
*and* Hairy Woodpeckers *and* Red-breasted Sapsucker*;

· We observed four duck species including *Wood Ducks* (8), *Hooded
Merganser* (4), *Common Merganser* (3) and *Mallards* (14);

· There were numerous *American Robins* throughout the park as we
observed 130 robins;

· Another nice observation were two *Western Bluebirds*.

A complete list of today's birds follows. *Our next SAS field trip* will
be at Ankeny NWR on *Tuesday,* *March 21st at 8:00 AM*. Meet at the
Overlook off of Ankeny Hill Road. The next SAS Shorts field trip is at
Cascades Gateway Park on *Wednesday,* *March 29th at 5:30 PM*. Meet in the
parking lot.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Minto-Brown Island Park Checklist Summary for March 5, 2017*

*Identified Species: 43*

1100 Cackling Goose
8 Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima)
8 Wood Duck