Date: 3/5/17 12:58 pm
From: Dennis Vroman <dpvroman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Fwd: green tailed/spotted hybrid??
Checked "ID Guide to N.A. Birds, Part I," (Pyle,1997), which indicates that hybrids between Green-tail and Spotted Towhee have been reported. However, the pictured bird's plumage appears to be pretty much that of a Spotted, with the exception of the rufous crown patch. Would think if a hybrid there would be some plumage difference from that of a "pure" Spotted. I have found Spotted Towhees in the Grayback Mtns (and Chrome Ridge) that were in the same elevation band as nesting Green-tails. Also, I have seen Green-tails at elevations lower that one might think they would be at.

Dennis (north of Grants Pass)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 19:04:06 +0000 (UTC)
From: sarah mayer <sjm3224...>
To: "<romain...>" <romain...>,
Subject: green tailed/spotted hybrid??

this spotted towhee has an orange crown! very striking chap!
never seen one like it, how about you?
thanks, sarah

Romain Cooper
10398 Takilma Road