Date: 3/5/17 11:42 am
From: M. Dennice Craig <mdcraigster...>
Subject: Re: Grackles and Coopers
This week, early in AM as I restored feeders to outdoors and raccoon
territory, I heard crows mobbing something--and watched more join them
(south of our pond--just SE of Derby). After a bit, I heard the hawks and
saw two land in Cottonwood east of pond (Cooper's had mated in just that
spot a couple years ago). Then one took off heading away from pond...one
remained in tree longer, calling softly (to my ear) then followed mate
away. Crows continued to make huge ruckus. Cooper's have nested near pond
several years--last Fall I watched Mom carry snake to big fledglings who
had to fly away from nest and land on grass where she dropped it away from
trees. This year, I'm afraid the crows may have destroyed their
nest/eggs/young. Nature is really tough.
Also, last week, I saw a male Bluebird fly into a Starling that was in
our Sweetgum. He seemed to deliberately crash into the bird--the Starlings
left. I had looked up because of noise. Anyway, I have a pair of
Bluebirds in the nest box, and eating dried mealworms from my feeders, so
I'm speculating that the Bluebird was defending his nest (about 125 feet
away). It was cool. A couple years ago I had seen a European House
sparrow beat up a male and drive him from the nest. I destroyed the
Sparrow's nest four consecutive days and he eventually abandoned the
birdhouse. But, my Bluebirds did not return. Delighted to see them this
year. I live away from other homes and don't see many House Sparrows or
Starlings.
Dennice Craig
SE Sedgwick County

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html