Date: 3/5/17 11:06 am
From: Jay V Huner <jvh0660...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Birding at Natchitoches National Fish Hatchery 3/2/17
I had a meeting mid-morning in Natchitoches, LA last Thursday so I went early and birded the National Fish Hatchery on the south side of the city adjacent to LA 1. Don't go there much but if you read Lowery's several editions of "Louisiana Birds", you'll find it regularly referenced especially in regards to shorebirds. It is also listed as a destination in the ABA guide to Louisiana birding.

I went to the office and asked permission to bird. I was told it was fine but I would need to walk. Had a pleasant walk about the ponds despite the chilly wind. On the east side perimeter, there is a brushy area where songbirds can be found. There is also a brushy area inside the fence on the NE corner of the property where I managed to find 3 Vesper Sparrows. This seemed a bit noteworthy what with the difficulty in finding sparrows this "winter" season. It was a bit early for shorebirds.

Jay Huner