Date: 3/5/17 9:54 am
From: Romain Cooper <romain...>
Subject: [obol] Fwd: green tailed/spotted hybrid??
Hello OBOLers,

I'm forwarding this message w/ 2 photo attachments that a friend
recently sent my way. The Spotted Towhee was photographed from my
friend's yard in Takilma area (upper East Fork Illinois River
Valley), Josephine County, OR. The first photo shows that the bird
looks like a "normal" SPTO from the front but the second photo shows
an orange patch on the back of his (male?) head. The "back head
coloration" appears to be the same hue as the towhee's "sides". As
this is a similar color to a Green-Tailed Towhee's head, my friend
wondered if this was a hybrid?
I'm not knowledgeable but it seems that habitat/ elevational and
associated nesting-timing differences between the 2 "Papilo" species
would make this unlikely and the back head orange of this towhee is
some type of pigment aberration. I'll get back to my friend Sarah
re: any info on this if any of you have insights.

Thanks, Romain

>Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 19:04:06 +0000 (UTC)
>From: sarah mayer <sjm3224...>
>To: "<romain...>" <romain...>,
> Subject: green tailed/spotted hybrid??
>
>this spotted towhee has an orange crown! very striking chap!
>never seen one like it, how about you?
>thanks, sarah

Romain Cooper
10398 Takilma Road