Date: 3/5/17 9:17 am
From: Scott Seltman <sselt...>
Subject: Odds and Ends
I was in the neighborhood anyway, so when the wind dropped to almost zero
Thursday evening, 2 March, I decided to listen for Lesser Prairie-Chickens
at my usual spot SW of Haviland in Kiowa County. In one hour I only
happened to hear 3 brief and distant LEPC calls, an awfully low amount of
activity for the date.

I've been making my usual rounds, however I have seen few birds of note in
the last several weeks. Sandhill Cranes have been migrating north in the
usual way, but I don't think I've seen more than 5,000 so far.

One sighting I should have mentioned earlier was a Northern Shrike in the SE
corner of Kingman County way back on 7 February. It was tame enough to pose
for a few distant photos. This sighting was just one mile north of Harper
County, a county for which there is apparently still no Northern Shrike
record.

We've had some extremely warm days with strong south winds where one could
imagine just about anything showing up, but so far I've just missed them, I
guess.

Scott Seltman

Larned, Kansas

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html