Date: 3/5/17 9:08 am
From: Susan Hedman <2winterwren...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Fwd: eBird Report - Cape Ann-Gloucester & Rockport, Mar 4, 2017
Cape Ann-Gloucester & Rockport, Essex, Massachusetts, US Mar 4, 2017 8:30
AM - 12:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling 20.0 mile(s)
Comments: Four hearty souls joined us for a blustery day looking for
birds on Cape Ann. The temperature never made it above 18 degrees and the
winds were very strong at times. We started with a cloudless blue sky and
ended up with dramatic dark cloudy skies with snow flurries. Our last stop
was Plum Cove. After a few moments it was clear that winds that practically
knocked us over at times, would make it difficult, and we officially ended
the trip. Despite challenging conditions we had a great time and saw some
excellent birds. We started the day with what was one of the lowest tides I
have seen. Sandbars I have never seen were evident in the inner harbor, and
the sand bar that connects Salt Island to Good Harbor was completely dry. I
have walked the bar in the summer in a foot of water.
40 species

Brant (Branta bernicla) 18 Rockport, Front and Back Beach and Plum
Cove Lanesville
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 24
Gadwall (Anas strepera) 7 Niles Pond
American Black Duck (Anas rubripes) 11
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 93
Ring-necked Duck (Aythya collaris) 12 Niles Pond
Greater Scaup (Aythya marila) 20 Niles Pond
Lesser Scaup (Aythya affinis) 8 Niles Pond
Common Eider (Somateria mollissima) 91
Harlequin Duck (Histrionicus histrionicus) 35 Rockport
Surf Scoter (Melanitta perspicillata) 8
White-winged Scoter (Melanitta fusca) 14
Black Scoter (Melanitta americana) 4
Long-tailed Duck (Clangula hyemalis) 7
Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola) 65
Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) 12
Hooded Merganser (Lophodytes cucullatus) 1
Red-breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator) 67
Red-throated Loon (Gavia stellata) 2
Common Loon (Gavia immer) 8
Horned Grebe (Podiceps auritus) 2
Red-necked Grebe (Podiceps grisegena) 2
Great Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo) 8 Gloucester back shore
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) 1 Nice surprise at Eastern point
lighthouse area, seen well by group, being harasses by crows it flew off
after a flew minutes
Thick-billed Murre (Uria lomvia) 1 Continuing bird seen from Jodrey
fish Pier in the inner harbor, bird hanging out by a bouy and not bothered
by fishing boats passing nearby
Razorbill (Alca torda) 3 2 @ Bass Rocks Gloucester 1 in Rockport
Black Guillemot (Cepphus grylle) 2
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) X
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) X
Iceland Gull (Larus glaucoides) 1 Jodrey Fish Pier
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus) 8
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) (Columba livia (Feral Pigeon)) X
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 5
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 15
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 2
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 1
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 2
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 6 Singing at Niles Pond
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) 1 Singing
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) X

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/
checklist/S34978156

Susan Hedman, Gloucester
"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." Frank Lloyd Wright

Join us on Facebook!