Date: 3/5/17 6:32 am
From: Tom Hildebrandt <thildebrandt...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] CEAZ: FOS Northern Rough-winged Swallow-Tempe
My neighborhood has Northern Rough-winged swallows present every year from
about this time until perhaps mid-June when they disappear (always hard to
define when they're gone). They are common, foraging above and around the
houses. Had my first of the season yesterday (March 4) as a quick flyby
that I wasn't sure about, but confirmed one this morning. I know they've
been around in more optimal habitats for some time, and some all winter,
but. I'm curious about what is going on with their timing. Do they breed
here early and then migrate (where?)? Possible that they go north or up
elevation and breed again, or are they just done for the season and head
south early. Anyone know?