Date: 3/5/17 6:17 am
From: Jay V Huner <jvh0660...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] Spring Nesting South of New Orleans
My understanding is that non-migratory resident birds like titmice, chickadees, Carolina wrens, cardinals, etc. nest well before the migrant nesters show up. Here in NW Rapides Parish, I counted 8 cowbirds at my feeder this morning. This suggests strongly that the referenced birds are initiating nesting here.

An interesting question about overwintering vireos and catbirds would be, are they residents or merely migrants that are going north later in the spring?

Jay Huner