Date: 3/4/17 8:42 pm
From: Mike Rogers <m.m.rogers...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Black Rail in Alviso - 3/4/17
All,

Today 3/4/17, Richard Jeffers, Mike Mammoser, and I searched Alviso for Snowy Plovers. Despite finding 90 of them on Pond A12 and in New Chicago Marsh last month, we failed to find any today. Water levels were perhaps even higher than last month and the birds have presumably moved to drier areas for breeding. We did still have at least 6 SANDERLINGS in the northwestern portion of Pond A12. A BLACK RAIL was giving its "kee kee do" vocalization just across the levee from this location at 9:25am and the adult male hybrid BARROW'S x COMMON GOLDENEYE continued nearby along the southern edge of Pond A11.

Other birds of note seen today included:
HORNED GREBE - 2 on A11 and 2 on A14
BLUE-WINGED TEAL - pair in Mallard Slough near boat launch
GADWALL - 1 leucistic bird that was mostly white with an orange bill, paired with a male on Pond A16
EURASIAN WIGEON - 2 males seen during a quick scan of southern A9
PEREGRINE FALCON - singles on the Caspian Tern decoy island on A16, over the EEC entrance road, and on the A12/A13 levee
MERLIN - one in the town of Alviso and later perched in nearby New Chicago Marsh east of the RR tracks

Mike Rogers
Sunnyvale, CA

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional