Date: 3/4/17 6:41 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bucktoe Creek Preserve (04 Mar 2017) 5 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 5 17 17

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Beatty Broughton, Carol Spease, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
Visitors (5):
Kathleen Pileggi, Carol Spease, Beaty Broughton, Jim Balint
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!

Weather:
Partly Cloudy (50-75% cloud cover), Temps 27-34F, Winds NW 15-25

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Bald Eagle,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (35) and Turkey Vultures (55).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1

Non-raptor Observations:
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0); Dragonflies (0); Reptiles &
Amphibians (0); Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
----“BUCKTOE BIRD BLOG” - (Comments on the events & “feel” of the day –
read on, if you dare) We see birds, many of them hawks; encounter other
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S BLOG: Today our site was able to get set up, despite the still
very strong winds – thanks, Jim! Against that very same wind, three
Sharp-shinned Hawks came by mid-morning in close order and a local adult
Bald Eagle soared over just prior. My string of days with Ravens came to
an end this day-----halting at three, but I’ll take it. Thanks to Beaty
and Carol for keeping me company through a frigid morning, and helping
“break in” a fresh batch of celebratory pretzels. Now remember ladies, the
container of the larger ones are only for the best of birds….while the
smaller ones (the mini’s) were appropriate for those Sharpies. Bring your
“A game,” next time, gals! As for m, after the hawk watch, I took a group
to Marsh Creek to enjoy a rambunctious gathering of American Woodcock in
courtship air shenanigans. A great time was had by all as we enjoyed a fine
spread of wines, cheeses, crackers and apples. But the HOT apple cider
from a local orchard was a popular choice; taking a bite out of the evening
fslling temps. It all tasted like more…..and there will be….
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to Delaware
Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws, for their incredible
support and gracious generosity in opening their property to the public for
this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.54; Steps: 13,007; Floors:
69.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 36; this season: 52
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks cold, but not as windy....yah! That will make a
difference!
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day, 9am thru 3pm (at least). Rain
or shine….
will be removed.
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by Delaware Nature
Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

Site Description:
High open meadow facing north near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):