Date: 3/4/17 6:43 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [cobirds] Dinosaur Ridge (04 Mar 2017) 10 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 10 16 16

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 5 hours

Official Counter: Mitchell Blystone

Observers:

Visitors:
Many, many, many trail runners, bikers, and hikers throughout the day. A
lot of gun fire and of course motor bikes. I did observe a very tenacious
gentleman who waved the American Flag on the Green Mountain Pedestrian
bridge for nearly two hours.

Weather:
A good day to own sun screen. The morning started with some brisk
westernly winds. Eventually faded to calm eastern winds and a lot of sun.

Raptor Observations:
Almost all migration observations came from Morrison mountain/Two Pines
then moved closer into the Matthew Winters area. Three Bald Eagles were
seen within 10 minutes near Two Pines and I70 area and pretty much all
migrators took their time moving North. Additionally all observations
seemed to be in burst. There are two local Red Tail pairs that entertained
all day and were the majority of sightings on the eastern side. One
Accipiter was seen moving south along the Dinosaur ridge.

Non-raptor Observations:
Many Scrub Jays, Magpies, and Robins were seen early in the morning but all
song birds seemed to calm down when the warmth increased.

Predictions:
If the weather is nearly the same I would keep your eye to the west. I'm
not betting on that but that was the majority of my day's observations.

Bring sunscreen!
Report submitted by Bird Conservancy of the Rockies (<jeff.birek...>)
Dinosaur Ridge information may be found at:
http://www.birdconservancy.org/

Site Description:
Dinosaur Ridge is the only regularly staffed hawkwatch in Colorado and is
the best place in the world to see migrating Ferruginous Hawks. Dinosaur
Ridge may be the best place in the country to see the rare dark morph of
the Broad-winged Hawk (a few are seen each spring). Hawkwatchers who linger
long enough may see resident Golden Eagles, Red-tailed Hawks and Prairie
Falcons, in addition to migrating Swainson's, Cooper's and Sharp-shinned
Hawks, American Kestrels and Turkey Vultures. Peregrine Falcons and
Ferruginous Hawks are uncommon; Northern Goshawk is rare but regular.
Non-raptor species include Rock Wren, and sometimes Bushtit, Western
Bluebird, Sandhill Crane, White-throated Swift, American White Pelican or
Dusky Grouse. Birders are always welcome.
The hawkwatch is generally staffed by volunteers from Bird Conservancy of
the Rockies from about 9 AM to around 3 PM from March 1st to May 7th.

Directions to site:
From exit 259 on I-70 towards Morrison, drive south under freeway and take
left into first parking lot, the Stegosaurus lot. Follow small signs from
the south side of lot to hawkwatch site. The hike starts heading east on an
old two-track and quickly turns south onto a trail on the west side of the
ridge. When the trail nears the top of the ridge, turn left, head through
the gate, and walk to the clearly-visible, flat area at the crest of the
ridge.